Coalcracker Kid is a fun, relaxed class that introduces youth to the exciting world of bushcraft and survival. The outdoors is a place that will always provide excitement and relaxation for young and old alike. In this course, youth and parents will learn different outdoor skills - everything from planning a trip to staying safe if lost. The class will be a mix of both survival and bushcraft topics. Youth of all ages and backgrounds will find something exciting over these two days.
Join your child for our kids bushcraft course, and you both can enjoy endless learning opportunities within nature. This class is designed for children and parents who want a family-friendly introduction to outdoor adventure. You and your family will leave our kids bushcraft school with the tools to embark on a lifetime of outdoor appreciation.
The youth in this class will receive a pocket survival kit, make a survival bracelet, and receive a knife they will learn to customize. And best of all, a signed copy of Dan’s new book, Bushcraft Kid!
Note: If more then 1 parent would like to attend the class with your child, please email us so we can make proper arrangements.
WHY TRY BUSHCRAFT FOR KIDS?
If your child has a curious spirit or love for the outdoors, our kids bushcraft class is perfect for them. In just two days, you and your child can form a new perspective on outdoor adventure. As survival experts, we teach kids to understand the power and thrill of their surroundings. Who knows? You may have a mini bushcrafter in the making!
Families love our kids bushcraft course because it:
- Lays the foundation for learning: After our bushcraft course, your family camping trips will never be the same. Enjoy the learning opportunities as they come with your newfound knowledge of bushcraft.
- Encourages curiosity: Your child may find there's more they want to learn about the great outdoors. They can refine their skills and discover more of what they love as they grow up.
- Creates connections with nature: Nature always presents new challenges, and your child can learn to love it through this introduction. They will make the most of their outdoor experience through fire-making, survival routines and camping skills.
- Provides a bonding opportunity: We teach outdoor skills for kids and parents to experience together. This course is an excellent opportunity to form new traditions and bond with your loved ones.
FIELD AND CLASSWORK
Our kids bushcraft classes teach a wide range of outdoor skills at an introductory level. The fieldwork includes:
- Outdoor safety and trip planning
- What to do if you are lost
- Tarp shelter
- Sleeping in the wilderness
- Knife safety
- Campfire cooking
- Fire making
- Knots and rope
- Making camp snacks
- Learning the Survival Priorities
- Survival fishing
- Woods walk
REQUIRED KIT (per team)
- 100’ paracord
- Fixed blade knife
- 1 - 100% cotton terry cloth washcloth
- Tin container to make char (Altoids tin)
- UCO Storm Proof Matches
- Notepad and pencil/pen
Required Kit (each person)
- Sleeping bag or wool blankets for sleeping
- Poly tarp - 11x15 recommend for 1 youth and 1 parent in same shelter, 7x9 recommended for individual sleeping
- Cup and spoon for eating
- Headlamp with spare batteries
- Backpack to fit above items
- Extra clothing and hygiene supplies
- LEVEL OF PHYSICALITY: 1 out of 10
The youth will move around the school property throughout the day at a leisurely pace.
- Purchase of this class includes admission for 1 youth and 1 adult.
- ALL YOUTH MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT.
- Age Range for this class is 7 - 12 years of age.
- Location of Training: Ringtown, Pennsylvania
- Start Time: 9:00 a.m.
- The primary focus of this course is for parents and youth to learn fun outdoor skills.
- Students will stay on school grounds during the course and sleep in the woods.
- A PortaJohn is available on-site .
- Students will have access to their vehicles during class.
- We suggest packing nonperishable foods/snacks for the day. It makes it easier during break times.
- Freshwater is available on-site. It is recommended to bring 1-2 gallons of additional water.
- Class will begin at approximately 9:00 a.m. and go until approximately 4:00 pm day 1. Class will begin at approximately 9:00am and finish at approximatley 12pm day 2.
An email detailing class specifics will be sent approximately two weeks before the class begins.