Any outdoor activity we participate in requires navigation. A simple day hike, exploring a new forest, walking through a city. Our Navigation Course will teach the fundamentals of direction and travel and then progress to more advanced skills such as utilizing maps, route planning, and how to use a compass to its maximum potential.
FIELD AND CLASSWORK
- Navigation Basics
- Compass Use
- Bearing and Direction
- Route Planning
- Map Reading
- Terrain Association
- Map Creation
- Traveling in a Woodland Environment
- Overview of Survival Skills
- Suunto MCB Compass
- Water Bottle
- LEVEL OF PHYSICALITY: 5 of 10
Students will move around the school property throughout the day at a moderate pace.
- Students will be permitted to camp on-site between Day 1 and Day 2 of the course, but it is not mandatory.
- PortaJohn Bathrooms are available on-site
- Students will have access to their vehicles during class.
- We suggest packing nonperishable foods/snacks for the day - convenient during break times.
- Please bring 1-2 gallons of water to stay hydrated.